11/22/12

thankful


I've been awake for an hour.  An HOUR people.  It should be against the law to wake up at 5:00 am on a holiday.  But ever since the time change, it's kind of been par for the course.  Eh, I have a feeling after some good quality feasting today, a nap will be no problem.  :-)
 
There is much to be thankful for today. 
 
It would be easy for me to be whiney instead of thankful.  In fact I'm pretty good at it.  I saw this on Twitter this morning...ya know, when I was awake early.
 
@primalkitchen tweeted:

This year, I'm thankful for making it through times and places I'd never have chosen.

 
I don't know about the dragging but it still fits.  The Lord HAS carried me through some yucky times this year.  I won't re-hash them all but needless to say, I wouldn't have chosen to go through them.  It's too easy for me to get sucked into this train of thought...
 
oh my gosh.  this year has been totally terrible and whine, whine, complain, complain, I can't wait for it to be over!  I lost a baby, pretty much had a nervous breakdown while trying to work full time after it, had unexplained health issues that went on, and on...
 
As a friend nicely told me, there is nothing magical about a new year.  I get it, that is true.  January 1st won't automatically greet my doorstep with blessings a plenty and only good fortune.  I 100% believe that we will also go through some tough spots in 2013.  Having said all that, I know the only way to close out this year and spend this THANKSGIVING is to do just that. 
 
Be thankful

So here is what I'm thankful for.  The short list. 
 
I'm thankful for my family.  For my mom who is my ever-present counselor and for my dad who tough-lovingly tells me that other people are going through the same crap.  And tells me something good is around the corner.  For my siblings who constantly amaze me and make me so thankful that my mom agreed to do this whole "mom" thing 8 times.  For my husband.  My rock and the person who puts up with my ridiculousness on a daily basis.  I would not have made it to this day without him.  For my daughter.  I love that kid more than I ever thought possible.  She is the light of my life and makes every day happier.  She makes it impossible to stay grumpy in the mornings as we drive down the alley and she's saying, "It's cold and bright! It's cold and bright!"  Crazy girl.
 
For my 2nd set of parents, my in-laws.  I love you both and am beyond blessed to have the relationship that we do.  For my employer, who was patient with me and found a place for me to stay and fit.  For my friends who have held my hand and texted me and made me laugh when all I wanted to do was scream. 
 
I'm thankful God that you have carried me, all my *approaching* 30 years.  You have never once left and you have never once been surprised.  Thank you for your grace (giving me what I don't deserve) and for your mercy (not giving me what I do deserve.)  Thank you for another Thanksgiving with the ones I love.  I am blessed, always.
 
I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving today, wherever you are.  If you're reading this, then I'm probably thankful for you too.
 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm so very thankful for You!! Love ya!