1/5/10

A better breakfast


I'm just not hungry in the mornings.  I don't have time.  I'm not a morning person. 

I've heard enough excuses :>  You need to eat breakfast!

Did you know studies have shown that people who eat breakfast, for the most part, weigh less than those who don't?

If that doesn't motivate you to pour yourself some Wheaties in the morning, I don't know what would! :)

Breakfast doesn't have to be an elaborate meal, or take a lot of time or effort.  More often than not, I usually throw something together that sounds good and eat it at my desk.  Yesterday morning I woke up early so I had some extra time to eat at home.  I decided to make a yogurt parfait which included:

*1 cup of cereal (I don't usually measure my cereal but some reason I did)
*1/2 a gala apple, diced
* 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt (Again, I don't usually measure things but this yogurt had a lot of sugar in it and I didn't want to start my day with a ton of it!)

I layered my ingredients in a pretty glass and ate up!




This was good for an early morning meal but I like to eat more calories and substance for breakfast.  So...I had breakfast numero dos at work.  Peanut butter and half a banana on two ww leftover pancakes with honey.  Yes I like a BIG breakfast.  And I was extra hungry today.  Peanut butter fills you up and satisfies you (it's a fat!) and is a healthy, good for you source of fat and protein.  I buy the Smucker's Natural brand, usually crunchy.  I also had some Tazo Calm tea for warmth!---in my beautiful mug from Lindy!



Here are my top tips when it comes to making breakfast part of your morning routine:

1) Just Do It!  Start eating something every day, in the morning, sometime in the first two hours after you wake up.  It doesn't have to be a meal; it could be a banana, an apple, or a hard boiled egg.  Just eat something.

2) Eat what sounds good to you, within reason.  Just because a Cinnabon cinnamon roll sounds like an appealing way to start your day, realize this "sweet idea" may give you a short lived sugar rush.  If you hate oatmeal, don't force yourself to choke it down, but if you love cereal, pick one that is high protein/high fiber.

3) Make it balanced.  A combination of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and healthy fat is going to give you the most bang for your buck.  A bowl of yogurt with banana slices and slivered almonds would cover your bases!

4) Don't count calories.  But if you're looking for a number, keep it under 500.  Yes, you can eat a 500 calories breakfast if you want!  Studies have shown that eating more early on in the day may keep you from eating as much later on.  Plus, your metabolism is at its peak at the start of the day and...you haven't even in 8 hours!

5) Divide it up if you want.  Eat something small when you first wake up, then have another morning snack a few hours later

You should find yourself after a few days actually waking up hungry.  Have fun with this meal!  Switch it up and get creative.  Make a homemade egg mcmuffin with a whole wheat english muffin, shredded or sliced cheese, and an egg.  Here are a few more of my favorite combos:

* Oatmeal cooked with milk, cinnamon, vanilla, raisins, and...peanut butter :>  I'll sweeten it with honey or agave nectar

* Scrambled eggs using 1 egg and 1 egg white + bell peppers and shredded cheese

* Whole wheat pancakes with peanut butter, banana, and honey

* A shake made with frozen banana chunks, milk, chocolate protein powder, and frozen berries

I hope this gives you some ideas if you've always considered yourself a non-breakfast person.  :--)  Try it out a couple days and see how you feel.  Morning may just become your favorite part of the day!


No comments: