A scary day

Well, I'm home today.  Might as well blog!
Y'all, yesterday was a scary day.  I had two firsts. 
  • I passed out
  • I rode in an ambulance
I know I haven't given a ton of details but over the past month or so I've been dealing with a lot of weird health issues.  Stuff that on it's own or spread out might not be that big of a deal but all together and for this length of time, has turned into something.  I've yet to find out what.
So Sunday morning we went to church and I felt fine.  We came home and had a usual Sunday lunch for us~ Barbecue chicken, sweet potatoes, and salad.  I made some gluten free cookies to share with my father-in-law who has Celiac's disease.  Karlyn took a nap and then we headed over to visit Nona and Papa.  I felt a little off stomach wise and I had a headache that was starting, right in the middle of my forehead.  I never get headaches!
We came home and I made myself a little dinner.  I took a long bath and by the time bedtime rolled around I wasn't feeling so hot.  I was nauseous and felt just like I had a week ago when I had diarrhea and vomiting, what I thought maybe was a 24 hour stomach bug.  I told Ryan to get the trash can, I took 1 Tylenol PM, and slept a little.  Karlyn woke us up coughing and then I slept off and on in the living room.
I got up Monday morning (yesterday!) and didn't feel so hot.  I was trying to get us all ready and had to sit down a couple times because I just felt weak, or tired, or something.  I had a bowl of cereal.  I got to work and was ok at my desk; I just felt nauseous.  Around 10:45 I remember thinking I didn't know if I could work three more hours.  Then it hit me.  I knew I was going to throw up.  I e-mailed my boss and told her this.  That's almost the last thing I remember.  I remember standing up and wanting to say, "I don't think I can do this." 
What really happened?  After my boss got my e-mail she walked down to my desk to tell me I didn't have to stay if I didn't feel like it.  She said I stood up to take off my coat and she thought, "she doesn't look good!"  She said I sat back down in my chair and she was telling me I could use the trash can or go to the bathroom.  I vaguely remember her saying that.  Then she said I started to reach for my trash can but instead of grabbing it I just kept leaning over to the left.  After a second, she could tell something wasn't right and she straightened me up in the chair.
I was out.  Gone.
She said I was out for about 10 seconds and that I was unresponsive for 15-20 seconds.  She was saying my name over and over, she told someone to call 911, and told another co-worker to call our CEO, who used to be an EMT.  She said she was just about to pull me down on the floor and figure out the next step when she heard me inhale a little.  Finally I locked eyes with her and she said I just looked shocked.  Everyone said I was super pale, like gray colored, and then that I broke out in a massive sweat.  When I came to, I was in my chair with my head leaned back and a wet paper towel over my forehead.  I heard words flying around the room...
"She's 29."  "The ambulance is on the way."  "Seizure."
Thankfully, nothing showed that it was a seizure.
They were asking me, "Do you know where you are?"  I said, "yeah."  My boss said I kept saying I was sorry and I know I asked them to call Ryan.
The ambulance got there and they came in and loaded me on the rolling bed and asked me which hospital I wanted to go to.  They ended up taking me to the one closest to our house.  I was freezing!  I kept shivering and all they had in the ambulance was this paper covering thing.  I had on a dress and heels and told the guy that I definitely didn't dress right for the day.  He asked me a bunch of questions and started me on IV fluids.
When I got to the hospital they hooked me up to more fluids and pretty quickly did a chest x-ray.  Then I had an EKG and a cat scan.  Then we waited.  I'm so thankful that my mother-in-law rode over with us.  Ryan got there and then eventually my mom and dad.  The tests came back normal but they did diagnose me with a bladder infection.  No symptoms :-0  They said my fluid volumes were a little off.  Dehydrated?  Kind of inconclusive.  My sugars were a little high.
They sent me home with an anti-biotic and told me to rest, hydrate, and follow up with my doctor.  It was crazy.  I haven't felt nauseous again like that today and am just resting.  I am seeing a doctor tomorrow who I hope can give me some direction.  I like to think of myself as a pretty healthy person and I have never had this many issues over the course of 6 weeks in my life!
I just want to get to the bottom of this and figure out what's causing the nausea, because I'm pretty sure that's why I passed out.  Good times, I tell ya.  You can say a prayer for me if you want.   :)


Andrea C. said...

Kati, that is so scary and I'm so glad you're okay. I know how frustrating it is to know that something is wrong but not know exactly what. I'll be praying you'll have answers soon so you can get better!

Whitney Weir said...

I was behind on reading your blog and had no idea what you went through. I am so sorry to hear that. I will definitely be praying for you.