2/3/12

Why? And Why Not?!


This is a little follow-up to my last post on Paleo.  If you read it, what did you think?  Does it seem too daunting?  Maybe some people (heck, I have) wonder what the point to all this is.  Why follow a Paleo dietWhy watch what we eat in general?  Does it really matter and what's the real goal here that we're looking at?

A Paleo diet reduces inflammation and from what I've read most chronic conditions, diseases, and a multitide of other ailments are caused by some type of inflammation.  What foods cause inflammation?  Well Whole9 (this site) says that these foods do:
  • grains
  • dairy
  • sugar
  • legumes
Dairy contributes to mucus build-up and is often filled with hormones.  Though some people are diagnosed with an actual gluten sensitivity, gluten actually negatively affects everyone even if you show no immediate apparent symptoms.  I'm not an expert and want to read more but our bodies have a hard time digesting gluten.  It's like, well, uh, GLUE!

But we love our ice cream, CHEESE, and bread.  In the grand scheme of things, who really cares about what we eat?  You should!  And I should.  As Christians, I think there's absolutely no getting around the fact that we should take care of the body that God gave us.  How can we be effective moms, dads, aunts, uncles, grandmothers and grandpas if we aren't living at full capacity?  Is it fair to our kids when we eat a bunch of junk - therefore teaching them to do the same - and sit around on our butts all day so that we don't have the energy to play with them?  Is God glorified when we take the body He's given us and don't treat it with the utmost respect and care and throw processed foods into it that MAN created on a continual basis?  This is not to say that there is no room for mistakes or the occasional treat.  How boring would that be?  I'm talking about regular habits that we are setting for ourselves and for our kids.

*Fyi.  I'm writing this to myself...not preaching at anyone.  I need to hear this!  And write it.  I need to know why the heck I'm doing this.

Which bring me to this.  WHY?  Why, why, why.  It is crucial before beginning any endeavor that we understand and pin point why we're doing something.  That way, when the temptations and stress come *and they will*, you have a reason to fall back on. " I'm doing this because of xyz."  Then put that reason in front of you.  I just recently cleared the front of our fridge of the many Christmas cards we received.  In their place, I want to put up motivational reasons/sayings for why I'm doing this.  I want to see them every time I walk into the kitchen.  One I thought of: EAT GREAT, FEEL GREAT - EAT CRAP, FEEL LIKE CRAP!   I am becoming more and more convinced that this is the way we were made to eat.  Think about the foods that existed before processed engineered factory food came into play.  You had:
  • meat
  • vegetables
  • fruits
  • and healthy fats (think olives, avocado, and coconut)

Here's why I'm doing this 2nd challenge.

I want to have as much energy as I possibly can every single day.  I want to feel like working out, playing with my daughter, cooking a healthy dinner, and cleaning my house when I get home from my part-time job instead of napping for 2 hours and feeling spaced out after I eat a handful of cookies.  I want to have a positive outlook on life and for me sugar often = depressed afterwards.  I want to keep a stable mood so that I don't snap my husband's head off when he does something I think he shouldn't. :)  I want to feel fabulous!  Not eh, I'm ok.

. . . . .

Now, for the "Why Not?"

You should think about doing the challenge!  What's the worst that could happen?  You feel great one week into it, (which only keeps getting better) and you create awesome new habits that lead to a healthier, happier you?  You start working towards kicking that sugar habit?  You realize just how strong of a pull you have towards certain foods? 

I get no reimbursement for this. :) I just know what happened to me the first time and the ridiculous difference I see even now when I eat Paleo for a day as opposed to when I don't.  So why not?  Join us!  I promise you won't regret it.




1 comment:

The Young's said...

right there with ya! After only 2 days of it with Nate and I, we could notice a difference in how we felt, and I totally know it's not just in our heads.
I think that's why I'm compelled towards it as well- that it seems the most natural way for us to eat, and how our bodies are designed to eat!
I'm super excited to see how this helps long-term!